Upgrading to 4.0 and don't know what to do with your 3.0? Pass it on via our Upcycle Program and get a free month of WHOOP!
*You will receive a free month if/when the giftee purchases a membership or upgrades to the 4.0 upon completion of the free 2 months.
What Is The UPCYCLE IT! Program?
- The UPCYCLE IT! program encourages upgraded 4.0 members to "gift" their 3.0 to a friend, so it doesn't go to waste.
- For a limited time (first-come, first-serve basis), existing members will receive an Upcycle Kit with their 4.0 order which includes: a fresh WHOOP 3.0 band, alcohol wipes, brown kraft envelope, and an instructional sleeve.
- Once gifted, their friend then receives 2 free months (commitment-free) to give WHOOP a try.
- If the giftee upgrades or purchases a membership after their 2 free months, the gifter (you) receives a free month!
- Gifter: Original owner who gifts their 3.0 to a friend/new member.
- Giftee: Friend/new member who receives the upcycled 3.0.
NOTE: 3.0s must be upcycled to a new WHOOP account, so members that already have a 4.0 or recently ordered one will not be eligible to receive upcycled 3.0s.
Not Interested? No sweat. We encourage recycling your 3.0 (device and battery pack) by checking with local guidance on the proper electronics disposal process.
Okay, I'm In. What Do I Do Next?
Freshen up your 3.0 with sanitary wipes and a brand new 3.0 band (included in the Upcycle Kit), or use your own disinfecting materials by washing the band with soap and water and hanging to dry before gifting it to a friend.
Become a gifter and give your repurposed 3.0 to a friend (the giftee).
As the gifter there is nothing else you have to do - just gift your 3.0 and you’re done!
Once the giftee receives the upcycled 3.0, all they have to do is:
- Download the WHOOP app on their mobile device.
- Create an account.
- Pair their 3.0 with their mobile device.
- Enjoy 2 free months of WHOOP.
Note: When a giftee pairs an upcycled 3.0 to their mobile device, they'll receive an Upcycled Strap Detected message.
Once they set up their account and get the device connected, the 2 free months will automatically be applied to their account.
Once the initial 2 free months of membership for the giftee is over, the giftee renews with a prepaid annual (12-month) membership at the current rate.
The giftee may also choose to extend their membership with a membership extension or upgrade to 4.0, by committing to 6 months or purchasing an extension to receive a 4.0.
Receiving notification of free month(s) credit
- Upon initial signup, giftees will be alerted that they get a 2-months free WHOOP trial as part of onboarding.
- During onboarding, they will be required to enter a credit card/payment method, but will not be charged for 2 months, and are not in a commitment.
- After their free trial, if the giftee purchases a membership in some form (via upgrade, recurring billing, or extension purchase), their gifter will receive 1 free month of WHOOP.
- Gifters will receive an email informing them that they have received a credit from their upcycled device if their giftee purchases a membership after their 2 free months.
Terms and conditions
- The program only works once per upgrader. This means that once the giftee uses up their 2 free months, the upcycled 3.0 reverts back to its original incentive of 1 month free upon signup (as it normally would with a non-upcycled gifted 3.0)
- ...UNLESS the giftee also upgrades to 4.0. If this is the case, the upcycled 3.0 resets back to 2 months free once more for the next giftee in line to use.
- As long as each subsequent giftee upgrades to 4.0 after their 2 free months trial, the upcycled 3.0 will continue to allot 2 months free for any new member that uses it.
- Important note: Giftees must purchase a 4.0 upgrade in order to set the upcycled 3.0 to a 2-month free trial. If the giftee simply purchases a 3.0 membership or extension, they will earn their gifter a 1-month credit, but the upcycled 3.0 reverts back to the original upcycled incentive of 1-month free trial (not 2 free months, as with a giftee 4.0 upgrade).
Can I upcycle my 3.0 in a country WHOOP doesn't ship to yet?
Yes! The device/app will work anywhere, however, the giftee will be unable to order additional accessories or upgrade to a 4.0 unless they use a freight forwarding service.
Can I upcycle my 3.0 to a friend who has already ordered a 4.0 but is still waiting to receive it?
No. 3.0s must be upcycled to a new WHOOP account, so members that already have a 4.0 or recently ordered one will not be eligible to receive upcycled 3.0s.
If I want to upcycle my 3.0, can I also purchase an extension alongside the 3.0 to gift to a friend?
Can the 3.0 be upcycled multiple times?
Once a giftee finishes their trial period, if they choose to become a paying member and pass down the upcycled 3.0 to a new giftee, the aforementioned giftee now becomes the new gifter. Rinse and repeat!
I want to gift a free band with the upcycled 3.0.
Great! Just head to the WHOOP 3.0 accessories shop.
How will the app know that the giftee is using an upcycled device and receive the 2 free months?
If the giftee goes through the in-app flow of creating a new account and pairing the gifted 3.0, the system will recognize this and they'll receive an Upcycled Strap Detected message. Their 2 free months will then be added to their account.
I’m not interested/don’t have someone to gift my 3.0 to.
No problem! We encourage recycling your 3.0 (device and battery pack) by checking with local guidance on the proper electronics disposal process.
Do 3.0 bands work with a 4.0 device, and vice versa?
No. 3.0 bands only work with a 3.0 device, and 4.0 bands only work with a 4.0 device.