If you menstruate and are not on hormonal birth control, WHOOP can provide sleep coaching recommendations for you based on the physiological changes you experience during the menstrual cycle. Menstrual cycles impact both your circadian rhythm and sleep stages.
Sleep efficiency varies by menstrual cycle phase, you may need to allow for more time in bed to offset reduced efficiency. WHOOP's Sleep Coach can learn your individualized response to each menstrual cycle phase and incorporate this into a more personalized recommendation.
To use this feature, you need to track your menstrual cycle using the WHOOP Journal.
How to Enable Menstrual Cycle Sleep Coaching in the WHOOP App
- Enter the WHOOP Journal from the Overview screen.
- Click the pencil icon to edit your journal.
- Click the settings icon in the top right corner to customize your journal.
- Scroll to the right to the Reproductive Health tab.
- Click the plus sign to enable the menstruating toggle or if you already have the toggle enabled, click the On birth control? box below the menstruating line item.
- Answer the question related to birth control (Note: only users who are on a Copper IUD or “None of the above” are eligible to receive this feature).
- Tap Save.
- Read the message indicating you must continue to use the Journal daily to track your cycle and tap Got it.
- WHOOP will send you an in-app pop-up message when the feature has been enabled for you! This may be within 24-48 hours if you have already been tracking your menstrual cycle in the WHOOP Journal. If you are new to this, there is a one-cycle calibration period (roughly one month) before your Sleep Coach recommendations will switch over to menstrual-cycle-based coaching.
Read more about this feature and the science behind it in The Locker: https://www.whoop.com/thelocker/sleep-coach-menstrual-cycle/