If you menstruate and are not on hormonal birth control, WHOOP can provide sleep coaching recommendations for you based on the physiological changes you experience during the menstrual cycle. Menstrual cycles impact both your circadian rhythm and sleep stages.
Sleep efficiency varies by menstrual cycle phase, so you may need to allow for more time in bed to offset reduced efficiency. WHOOP's Sleep Coach can learn your individualized response to each menstrual cycle phase and incorporate this into a more personalized recommendation.
NOTE: To use this feature, you need to track your menstrual cycle using the WHOOP Journal.
How to Enable Menstrual Cycle Sleep Coaching in the WHOOP App
- Go to the WHOOP Journal from the Overview screen. (see below, icon circled in red)
- In Your Journal view, you can add a note, or journal anything about your day.
- To edit your journal, click the pencil icon.
- To customize your Journal, tap on the notepad icon.
- Once in Customize Journal view, scroll to the Reproductive Health tab.
- Tap the plus sign to enable the menstruating toggle. If you already have the toggle enabled, select the On Birth control? box (below the menstruating line item).
- Answer the questions related to birth control.
- Tap Save.
- A message will appear, informing that you must continue to use the Journal daily to track your cycle. Tap Got it
- WHOOP will send you an in-app pop-up message when the feature has been enabled for you.
- NOTE: If you have already been tracking your menstrual cycle in the WHOOP Journal, you'll likely receive the enabled message within 24-48 hours.
Read more about this feature in our Locker post: Sleep Coach Update: Incorporating Menstrual Cycle Phase for Increased Accuracy