The WHOOP Strap 3.0 utilizes Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to connect to your mobile phone. A key difference between Strap 2.0 and Strap 3.0 is the use of BLE. With this technology, all pairing must take place inside the WHOOP App on both Android and iOS. Pairing the WHOOP Strap through the phone's settings may cause the WHOOP Strap not to appear in the app or lead to other errors.
For a more detailed discussion, please see our blog post here: https://www.whoop.com/the-locker/whoop-strap-3-0-bluetooth-low-energy-tips-and-tricks/
Re-pairing a WHOOP Strap 3.0:
If you lose connection to your 3.0 or are having a Bluetooth issue, the best thing to do is reconnect your 3.0 to the phone. Just like most other technologies, sometimes the easiest and best solution is to “turn it on and off.” To do this:
- In the WHOOP App, go to Strap Settings > Advanced Settings > Unpair Strap
- On iOS itself (that is, out of the WHOOP App), go to your iPhone Settings > Bluetooth > Tap on your WHOOP Strap identified by Serial Number > “Forget This Device" (In our experience, you may have to do this step twice. You can confirm this worked when you no longer see your WHOOP Strap in the "My Devices" section).
- For good measure, restart your iPhone.
- Take the Strap off of your wrist and make sure off-wrist mode is activated (the green LEDs on the bottom turn off). Tap the Strap repeatedly in order to put the Strap in pairing mode (you'll see the white lights chasing up and down the Strap).
- Now, go back to the WHOOP App and go to Strap Settings > Pair with a Whoop Strap > Select your Strap number and tap on it. An additional dialog box will appear asking you to confirm pairing to this device. Click yes and now you should be paired.
Below are the steps to place your phone and app into the proper state to successfully pair your 3.0 strap:
- Force quit the app
- Go to Apps & Notifications > WHOOP > Storage > Click 'Clear Storage'
- Go to Bluetooth settings > Unpair/forget the WHOOP 3.0 strap (Leave the WHOOP 2.0 strap paired if one is present)
- Shut down the phone (do not do restart, manually shut the phone off and turn it back on). This will fully reset the bluetooth system in the phone.
- Go to the Location system settings, enable the global 'Use Location' toggle as well as the WHOOP app level permission. If either of these are disabled, you will not be able to pair your device.
- Open the WHOOP app and login
- Take the strap off wrist and put it into pairing mode by tapping it until the LED's flash back and forth
- Go to the menu in the WHOOP app -> Click 'Strap Settings' -> Click 'Pair with a whoop strap'